Sunday, March 7, 2021

A sign of life...

It's been years since I last posted here and I don't know how many of you still come around here or even play this old gem of a video game. I recently felt that it would be nice to give it another try and what I discovered then made me really excited! By the time I was working on the texture overhaul project, I always thought how nice it would be to be able to edit the models and show them some love or correct bugs, for example broken UV maps or missing faces.

I spent hours searching the web for a possibility to edit those cem models and there was none. Until now...




Thanks to zocker-160 and his blender addon from github, we can now import and export Children of the Nile's models and edit them with blender. This is such a great opportunity to make this game even better by updating, fixing and even replacing it's static models like buildings with better ones. As far as I understood, there is no way of editing animations at the moment, so it's not possible to edit people or animals. But the possibilities are yet endless! I started some small projects and updates shops stalls like pottery, linen and baskets or so to see what's possible and I am very happy with the results. See some screenshots to get an impression.














I will see how far I come by working on Children of the Nile's models from time to time as a hobby and maybe share some of my updated models with you here.

Stay tuned


Best Regards

Horus

15 comments:

  1. It's my first time playing this game and I am surprised to see a post after so many years. I just searched for mods on a random whim and ended up on your page :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, I hope you enjoy the game as much as I do. I just got back to it after several years and thought well, now that it seems possible, I just have to give it an try and start modding it even further. Be sure to try out the enb, it makes the game look much more up to date :)

      Delete
  2. Reinstalling with H.orus T.exture O.verhaul P.roject Final

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks very promising. I had only just discovered your retexture mod and now I see this.

    Currently installing the textures and can't wait to play again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woaw, that's a promising come back! It's a good thing that I just decided to try how this wonderfull game manage my new 27" screen... not finding the shader's file, I come here and... TADA!!!!
    Up to be tester if needed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will soon upload some of the first new models for you to test, stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your work Horus, making the game even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Just found this game, and I will give your mod a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow just as i was searching for new mods for this beautiful little game

    i wonder if we could edit it even more graphically and gameplay wise, add new variations of building ect

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your artwork, and have spent literally THOUSANDS of hours enjoying it further. You have literally added thousands of hours of enjoyment to my life, and I have made grand, master-planned cities using it. Thanks so much for doing what you do. I would of course love to see ongoing work with it, as well. This game is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got back into this game after years and dropped by to download your fantastic texture overhaul mod. Its amazing what you're doing, breathing life back into this game!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to offer more encouragement to you. This game is one of my most favorite of all time, and the effort you put into it has done much for me. I have a new YouTube channel and I was playing the Henen-Nesu scenario with your mod. I will continue to do so. If you ever put out updates as you go, I would be delighted to play them. You've done a huge service to the fans of this game.

    If only they'd make something now that could automatically convert 32 bit programs to 64 bit...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello all, thank you so much for your encouragement. Your support is what makes this work so much worth it. Alongside my enjoyment for this great game, of course.
    Unfortunately, I don't think that there is any chance that we can add new buildings or change the core functions of the game. I spent hours trying to search the internet for possibilities, yet it seems impossible. It is even impossible to edit animations or any models that use animations. So we have to live with that and try to get the best out of what we can do. I will upload some of my finished models soon.

    Best regards

    Horus

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for work and dedication Horus you are true brother of the nile ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, we are really looking forward to the update. Happy New Year to you

    ReplyDelete